The goal of the CSoI Professional Development and Training (PDT) program is to furnish CSoI students and post-docs with competitive skills and experiences that will afford them the opportunity to maximize their research and career potential. Those CSoI students and post-docs who complete the program will be awarded a Certification of Recognition by the Center.
The CSoI PDT program has detailed, but adaptable, requirements based on each student's primary professional interests.
- There is only one required module (Diversity).
- Masters students must select at least three additional modules of their choice from the optional list; Ph.D. students and post-docs must choose at least four.
- Most modules consist of a combination of training and action components.
Once a module is finished, participants are asked to complete program evaluations for feedback on how informative the module was. This allows the program to best serve the interests of its students and post-docs as a whole.
The complete list of modules currently being offered and/or in development is recorded below. As they become available, you will be able to click on the individual modules to learn more about that topic and to view additional resources.
- Participate in at least one CSoI teleconference on diversity. Next teleconference TBA; and
- Participate in a diversity event -OR- serve on a committee aimed at broadening participation -OR- interview someone at your institution whose job involves diversity.
- Read through the booklet, "Adviser, Teacher, Role Model, Friend", which is published by National Academy Press and available online for free.
- Take a CSoI-approved proposal writing workshop.
- Afterwards prepare a proposal for submission. Proposals can be submitted to RFPs within CSoI or any funding agency (e.g., NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program).
- Act as a reviewer for a draft version of one of your colleague's proposals.
- Take the CSoI CV/Resume Writing workshop (next session will be listed when available) -OR- an approved resume writing workshop at your home institution
- Have your CV or resume reviewed by a fellow CSoI student or post-doc. Be sure to send a copy of your final CV or resume to the CSoI Diversity Director, along with a short summary of how you applied the information you learned from this module to your proposal.
- Act as a reviewer for a draft version of one of your colleague's CV's or resumes.
- Read "Careers in Science and Engineering: A Student Planning Guide to Grad School and Beyond" (available online for free)